nailin

nailin
black

Minggu, April 04, 2010

Discourse Analysis

Persistent
I crossed the street to avoid meeting him, but he saw me and came running towards me. It was no use pretending that I had not seen him, so I waved to him. I never enjoy meeting Robert William because he never has anything to do. No matter how busy you are, he always insists on coming with you. I had to think of a way of preventing him from following me around all morning. However, it was difficult for me.
“Hullo, Robert,” I said. “Fancy meeting you here!”
“Hullo, Elizabeth,” He answered. “I was just wondering how to spend the morning – until I saw you. You are not busy doing anything, are you?
“No, not ø at all,” I answered ø. “I’m going to…”
“Would you mind my coming with you?” he asked ø, before I had finished speaking.
“Not ø at all,” I lied, “But I’m going to the dentist.”
“Well, I do too,” the persistent man answered ø. “There’s always plenty to read in the waiting room.”

Abc : cataphoric reference (Robert William)
Abc : cataphoric reference (Elizabeth)
Abc : anaphoric reference (Robert William)
Abc : anaphoric reference (Robert William)
It : anaphoric reference (preventing him from following me around all morning)
Abc : Superordinate
ø : ellipsis
a. I’m not busy
b. I answered his question
c. He asked to me
d. I don’t mind your coming with me
e. The persistent man answered my question
Because : causal conjunction
However : adversative conjunction
But : additive conjunction

Tidak ada komentar: